Sunday, April 13, 2008

Backyard Progress

We were supposed to sod the backyard this weekend, however it was too wet for the sodders (is that what they are called?) to cut the sod. Other than the fact that I had scheduled two days off for this activity, the bummer is that I humped my ass off installing the irrigation system. Too cheap to buy a trenching machine, I decided to dig out the trenches myself. Everything was going good until I hit clay on the last third of the project. I spent one day on two thirds of it and then two days on the last third. It still wasn't as deep as I wanted it. Laying the pipe (I've always liked that phrase) took only about fifeteen minutes. I'm waiting to put the actual sprinkler heads in until the yard is prepped before the sod. I also couldn't wait any longer to plant the Jefferson elm (known as Jeffy) that I bought The Girlfriend for Valentine's Day. He was delivered March tenth and had been sitting on the patio watching me work in the yard. He was starting to bud leaves so I decided not to wait any longer to plant him.

So, to sum up for the back yard. I built a 12 x 12 wooden deck, installed an irrigation system, planted Jeffy and now I only have the sod left. I will post before and after pictures when I'm done.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are the cheese to my macaroni....

Thank you for all your hard work. I appreciate Jeffy--we can watch him grow together.

But you forgot to take credit for assembling the pergola!! ha

9:42 PM  
Blogger Jane Doe said...

Aw... Jeffy is planted! SWEET! I remember digging those trenches and they are no joke! With clay it helps to water it and let it absorb it and then dig through it.

Weird fact about me, I used to jusge soil in HS. Got to love those Ag programs!

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*staring at you and Vanessa in awe*

3:55 PM  
Blogger Jane Doe said...

Thanks. My Dad had us help him. What else are 4 daughters go for, if not manual labor? Haha!

6:28 PM  
Blogger Whine Girl said...

i don't like your tree's name.

ack

7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home