Monday, May 23, 2005

I Hate People

It came out in conversation the other day that I hate people. Not any particular group, race or orientation, just people.

I think the seeds of my personal philosophy were actually the product of a friendship that I had in high school. Tippi was the guy's name (don't ask) and he reminded me of Statler and Waldorf from The Muppet Show. Nothing pleased those two old curmugeons and Tippi had their act down to a science. Won the lottery Tippi? That's great!

"Fucking taxes."

You get the picture.

I didn't realize at the time that Tippi had a genuine dislike for people in general. Old, young, black, white, male, female, straight, gay, it didn't matter. He would take one look at you, size you up, immediately do the math in his head and come to the conclusion that you weren't worth a damn. The funny thing was that as he got older, he actually converted a whole house full of people to his way of life. You would go over to their old bungalow in Cooper-Young and they would all sit around smoking one cigarette after another, slamming down Guinness and watching CNN.

They spent most of their time calling people in the news "Fucking idiots" and that was their term of endearment. If they really disliked the person they saddled him or her with "hippie communist" which was kind of funny considering the Charles Manson cult of personality thing they had going.

The highlight of the evening was when the phone would ring. Tippi always screened his calls and he would completely ignore the phone on the first two rings. On the third ring he would casually turn his head and blow cigarette smoke in the direction of the offending sound. The fourth ring, his eyes would squint like Clint Eastwood. Finally the machine would pick up and it would be some poor bastard that thought Tippi actually wanted to hear from him. The message would be left and Tippi would stare at the machine for several seconds before slowly turning his attention back to CNN.

"Fucking idiot."

Why was I over there watching the slow ballet that was Tippi's life of hate? I think that I subconsciously realized greatness when I saw it. As I got older, I began to understand that Tippi was a man ahead of his time. He didn't need anything from anybody and made damn sure they knew it. Last I heard from Tippi, he had moved to Taos, New Mexico and set up a tee pee out in the wilderness. I imagine him in the scrub, meeting the Gila monsters eye to eye, blowing smoking in what passes for their faces, and uttering "fucking idiot."

Now that I've had a chance to step back and look at my life and my personal philosophy, I see that Tippi had it right. What I was missing was the why. Why do people sicken and disgust me? Is it because the world is full of bullies and sycophants? But there has to be a pecking order, right? Otherwise it's anarchy.

I finally hit upon the answer the other night when somebody asked me why I hate people. It isn't that I hate all people, just the ones that don't do what I think they should. Drink Pepsi? Fucking idiot, you should drink Coke. Wear suspenders? Only a fucking idiot wears suspenders rather than a belt. And so on and so forth. If you want to stay on my good side, do what I think you should.

11 Comments:

Anonymous 2bSomeoneElse said...

Wow, you're starting to sound like me. You say you hate people. My motto is "people are stupid." I see some truth in your sentiments and find myself shaking my head as I read.

I do have to ask . . . what the hell is wrong with you? If Pepsi and Coke were two kids battling at the top of the stairs, Coke would trip like a little sissy and go crashing down each step only to land in its own inferior cola puddle.

Geez.

12:45 AM  
Anonymous Bat said...

I was raised on Pepsi and drank it faithfully until I discovered the government plot to control the population's minds with that sickening sweet concoction. Communists drink Pepsi, real Americans drink Coke!

12:55 AM  
Anonymous 2bSomeoneElse said...

Damn those Pepsi assholes for bankrolling Lee Harvey Oswald's assasination of JFK. They probably had a hand in staging the "walk on the moon." Bastards, I say.

Their products taste so good though. In fact, I just polished off my second Diet Pepsi of the day. I say bring on another.

4:58 PM  
Anonymous DanjerusKurves said...

Red Bull, people. The true way to go.

6:34 PM  
Anonymous Chrissie said...

I knew I liked ya...
People suck...

10:40 PM  
Anonymous Richard said...

What you may not realize is that when you knocked on the door to gain entry into our bungalow, we all said, "fucking idiot."

2:20 PM  
Anonymous Bat said...

Dick! How the hell are ya comrade?

7:42 PM  
Anonymous Richard said...

Found this through Tippi, fuckin' idiot.

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Bat said...

I figured. Bet you guys are staring at my ass.

4:36 PM  
Anonymous Richard said...

Beats the hell out of staring at your face.

10:45 PM  
Anonymous Bat said...

You cheeky monkey.

10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home