Thursday, September 29, 2005

Tamest Of Half-Nekkid Thursdays


I know, pretty tame, but all of the weather on the Gulf Coast reminded me of this picture. I was in Mexico several years ago at Chitzen - Itza (according to one cab driver there "It rhymes with chicken pizza.") right before hurricane Mitchell hit the Yucatan peninsula. It devastated several South American countries, but at time I was thinking "neat clouds." The thing that strikes me about this picture is that they actually let you climb the pyramids. Yes, it is as high as it looks. No hand rails, no safety ropes, nothing. If this was in America, they'd sooner crack you over the head with a night stick than risk a law suit because you were to damn stupid to hold onto the side of a pyramid. I spent a whole day playing among the ruins and that evening as I drove home in the rain, I got lost. Now if you have never driven a car in Mexico, know that it is a dicey thing at best. I don't remember what the speed limits were on the highways, but I do remember that pedestrians, bicyclists, and cattle didn't think twice about stepping out in front of a speeding VW. I was hauling ass because I had dinner reservations at a nice restaurant and was running late, when the wife (ex-wife, well, she wasn't an ex at the time but now... awww fuck it) said "What's that light up ahead?"

"Hmmm, I see it too, wonder what that is?" as I barreled down the road.

"Look! It's a bonfire by the road, and there is a man standing next to it!" the whatever she is to me now exclaimed.

I squinted my eyes to make out the person standing on the road next to the bonfire and wondered what he was holding in his hands. I was probably doing 7o mph (or 1,433.5 kph, fuckin' metric system) when I finally realized that the object in question was a gun! An M-16 to be more exact! I slammed on the brakes and locked up the wheels and we came to a screeching halt next to what looked like a 14 year old Mexican in army fatigues holding an assault rifle in front of him. He looked scared, I damn well knew I was scared and all I could think was "Fuck! There has been a coup while we were out of the city and now they are gonna lynch the asshole American tourists."

Pablo looked in my window (keeping his distance) and said something. This was where two years of college level Spanish was gonna come in handy!!! He repeated what he said and I replied to what I thought the question was with what I thought the answer should be. The ex smacks me in the arm, which startled Pablo more than me, and said "you dumb ass mother fucker, he asked where we were from and you told him 'No sir, I don't keep shrimp in my pants." I had forgotten that the ex's dad, Major Ex, had been stationed in Panama for about 6 years and therefore, the ex had lived in Panama for about 6 years. I guess you tend to pick up a little Spanish when you are immersed in the culture.

Anyway, she and he jibber jabbered for a couple of minutes and then he waved us through. I asked what the deal was and she told me that she thinks he was looking for stolen babies. Yeah, I'm so sure that her Spanish is better than mine.

We drove for a little while longer until we were truly lost. She suggested that we turn around and go the other way. I replied "Fuck if I'm going back through check point Charlie," and kept driving. We eventually made it back to the hotel and dinner where I managed to dump a plate of shrimp in my lap. I glared at her and said "Don't you fucking say it."

Viva la Mexico!

42 Comments:

Anonymous Monkey said...

omg...LOL

peace...

11:05 PM  
Anonymous aughra said...

That is a kickass story! And those clouds!

Awesome HNT, my friend.

11:09 PM  
Anonymous sCruuw said...

no nakkie but i likey...

11:21 PM  
Anonymous Rachel said...

LOL, hmmm...so many responses I don't know where to begin ;)

Love the picture but you might have to be checked for attempting to smuggle shrimp across the border.

12:16 AM  
Anonymous 30Something said...

LOL, to funny!

12:34 AM  
Anonymous Ristak said...

Nice! Happy HNT!

12:37 AM  
Anonymous Chuck said...

Wow interesting story. I'd so love to go there and see those historical sites.

12:38 AM  
Anonymous Monalicious said...

That is an awesome story and what an amazing photo!

Happy HNT darling.

12:48 AM  
Anonymous Belly said...

Ha! Excellent story :D

Happy HNT!

1:04 AM  
Anonymous lecram sinun said...

cool view... and even cooler story! cheers and happy hnt!

1:16 AM  
Anonymous Tish said...

Nice! Happy HNT!

1:52 AM  
Anonymous required said...

Jump! Just kidding... Happy HNT!

1:56 AM  
Anonymous addict said...

Great story & pic!

2:40 AM  
Anonymous Sasha said...

great view! :-)
happy hnt!

5:06 AM  
Anonymous Kalani said...

Not lame at all sir it was freaking hilarious. And the picture ain't bad either. Happy HNT :)

5:08 AM  
Anonymous Lyvvie said...

I like the pic! The story was ace too.

6:33 AM  
Anonymous Lelly said...

Great story, very funny! Cool pic too! (who is that in your avatar BTW?)

7:03 AM  
Anonymous bricotrout said...

ive been in that same spot! only, i wasnt half nekked

7:09 AM  
Anonymous Queen Of Pink said...

Great story & a beautiful picture! The shrimp in the lap, that kind of ironic shit happens to me too.

Happy HNT!

7:53 AM  
Anonymous Laura said...

LOL...I'm surprised they let you climb those ruins as well. But I suppose if you fall to your death, who the hell are you going to sue?
And no one uses nightsticks anymore. They use expandable ASPs and mag lites. Not that I've ever had to wipe blood off the hood of my squad car before or anything...
;)
~L.

8:52 AM  
Anonymous It's A Secret said...

Very cute story and very cute pic!!

Happy HNT!!

8:55 AM  
Anonymous Jillian said...

Happy HNT!

9:15 AM  
Anonymous s! said...

hehe, that's a funny story! nice pic too, those pyramids look amazing!

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Meg said...

That's an amazing picture!

9:33 AM  
Anonymous ... said...

omg - quite the story. happy hnt - glad you ddidn't get shot.

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Scott & Julia said...

Wow, I love that view! Happy HNT!

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Wirthy said...

Mine's lame too. It's tough being creative one time a week.

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Lil Bit said...

HNT wishes from a hnt virgin! =)

11:50 AM  
Anonymous The Pink Kitty said...

What a great HNT Story! I want to climb pyramids too! :)

12:05 PM  
Anonymous Chick said...

Great story...(My Spanish sucks...so I'd have been in trouble).

What a cute, carefree looking pic...the height is making me sooo scared...I mean it.

Happy HNT.

12:54 PM  
Anonymous DanjerusKurves said...

Photo of hot guy with Seymour wrapped around his ankle... words... blah blah... back to photo.

1:13 PM  
Anonymous Bsoholic said...

Great view and really neat picture!

4:12 PM  
Anonymous *My_mothers_daughter* said...

nice pic very cool i like it
happy hnt

4:27 PM  
Anonymous Shumpy said...

heh. that was a good story.

//you want us to ship you some cocktail sauce for those shrimp?

6:50 PM  
Anonymous Spinning Girl said...

pretty great!

6:51 PM  
Anonymous BTExpress said...

Good story, and the view from up there must have been awesome.

9:10 PM  
Anonymous Schadeboy said...

Very interesting story. How terribly ironic about the shrimp.

Happy HNT!

1:12 AM  
Anonymous rayray said...

si, viva mexico! cool picture and story thanks!

2:10 AM  
Anonymous Michelle said...

That's not lame, it's beautiful. I love it. And you ARE half nekkid...your arms and legs!

1:30 AM  
Anonymous Mel said...

Oh babe! Funniest story I've read all day. I'm linking you if you don't mind....

btw...you and lilbit? hmmm...

11:11 PM  
Anonymous josh williams said...

Shit man I read Ring World years ago and thought that I was the only on that enjoyed the novel. My brother just this summer spent a couple of months touring Mexico and some ruins which peaked my curiosity even more.Visit www.trailrider.com for part of his story... They of course have to ask you to subscribe to the magazine to get the full scoop. Cool stuff no matter how you get there. JWskly

2:23 AM  
Anonymous joel said...

Five Star Indian Recipes will delight every Indian food lover. Beautifully arranged recipes in full color and packed with new recipes specially chosen by Award Winning Chefs.
indian recipes
Authentic Indian Cooking.

8:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home