Monday, January 08, 2007

First Day Of Work, Ready To Go Postal

You ever get the feeling that you just can't win? I started my new job today. Orientation really. I got to sit in a room and listen to people drone on about the same polices and procedures that every medical organization has in place. Zero new information. At one point there was a lull in the prepared materials and the moderator asked us to introduce ourselves to our neighbors. Sort of a "get to know your co-workers" kinda thing. I introduced myself to the guy on my right, gave him my name, where I was from and where I was going to work. In return, I got how much money he makes, the fact that he lives in a six bedroom house in another state and the last little nugget, the hospital is paying for his hotel room when he comes to town for work. Well la-dee-frickin'-da! Then the sunnuvabitch proceeds to crunch the damn candy (very loudly) he brought for the rest of the day. Even a couple of "Eat shit and die!" looks from me didn't deter him. It's not like he was distracting me from the monotonous films and power point displays, but it was the most annoying thing I can remember experiencing in a long time. Finally, it comes time to discuss benefits. The recruiter had told me that I would start to get benefits in 60 days. What she didn't say was that those 60 days really meant two full calendar months beginning AFTER the end of the current month. So it's really a whole lot closer to 90 days. Oh, and the pension plan that she crowed about? The hospital begins contributing that after the first year you are there, right? Sure, after the first calendar year that you are an employee on January first and December thirty-first. IT'S JANUARY 8! That means I have to work the rest of this year, 357 days, then all of 2007, then in 2008 they will begin to contribute to my pension. Funny how the recruiter didn't really cover all of that. I know, first day and I'm complaining already, but sometimes it seems that you just can't win for losing. At least tomorrow, I get to go to the unit where I will work instead of sitting in a room watching the Director of Safety demonstrate how to correctly pick up a box and avoid trashing your back. Yay!

11 Comments:

Blogger Kitty's Tiger said...

sounds to me like it can only get better. I wish you luck, besides look at what you get to come home to. oh don't forget to bend at the knees ha ha ha

9:57 PM  
Blogger Kitty said...

I'm sorry your first day sucked. and I'm even sorrier about your pension!

Hope tomorow goes better for you.

HUGS

12:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a good day sugar britches...hope it's a better one for ya.

8:14 AM  
Blogger Whine Girl said...

I haven't read the entire post.. but I'll come back and read later when I have a minute. I just finished my 6 week orientation, Sunday I'm on my own. When I first heard that it was 6 weeks, I was like WHOA, that's too long. But now that it's over, I want more! It's been awhile since I've worked in this particular field of nursing.... but I'm lovin' it.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Whine Girl said...

Batty, you better either start responding to your comments or put a chat box in the sidebar.. how do I know you even exist huh?? I want conversation dude. Pinch Flatty for me.. oh, How's work? :-)

4:16 PM  
Blogger Whine Girl said...

ps, as far as our benefits, they also start after 60 days. I started Dec. 5th? and my benefits start February 1st. I had until January 11th to choose what I wanted. I chose medical, dental and vision. I have no idea about the other things but I think they start contributing to your pension after 90 days... not a year. What dept. are you in?

4:18 PM  
Blogger Bat said...

I don't really exist, I'm just a figment of Flat's imagination. Nothing to tell about the job yet, it's all been orientation (policy and procedure), very little time in the lab. As for conversation, beware what you ask for in life! lol

4:19 PM  
Blogger Bat said...

OH!!! I can't believe I never mentioned it, I'm working in the Cath Lab. It's new to me, but with enough similarities to interventional radiology that I'm not completely out of my comfort zone. What other kinds of nursing have you done?

4:21 PM  
Blogger Whine Girl said...

oh, you know, you're typical prison nursing, drug rehab center, psych centers, geriatrics, ob/gyn, labor and delivery, postpartum / nursery.... that's about it. :)

So do you think the cath lab'll be challenging?

9:14 PM  
Blogger Bat said...

Well, it will be different. When I was in radiology, we used to do a lot of the peripheral work they do in the cath lab, but nothing with hearts. So...I have to become a lot more familiar with the vessels of the heart and my EKG interpretation. However, I will be comfortable with the catheters, wires, contrast, fluro that kind of thing. We shall see.

10:10 PM  
Blogger Whine Girl said...

I have a HUGE book on ekg interpretations.... never have I opened it!

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home