Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Sports

The Girlfriend has been bugging me to post, but I don't really have anything to write about. She pretty much covered the holidays on her blog, I don't start work until January 8, and all of my sports teams went into the crapper this past weekend. So......I decided to list my top 10 sports movies of all time.
#10 Mystery, Alaska
A feel good hockey movie about a small town in Alaska where the guys play a weekly game against each other. Eventually, they end up playing a real NHL team. I won't ruin the ending for you. Unfortunately, Russell Crowe stars. I think he is a douche, but he did a decent job in this film.











#9 Eight Men Out
The story of the 1918 Black Sox scandal when the Chicago White Sox threw the world series. Doesn't make most of the top ten lists, but it does mine.















#8 The Bad News Bears

C'mon! Walter Matthau as the cranky "Buttermaker" easily makes this movie a classic. How can you not root for the original misfits. Often copied by such movies as "The Little Giants" and "The Mighty Ducks."












#7 Caddyshack
If you haven't seen this movie, you live under a rock. Full of classic moments and an unforgettable performance by Bill Murray resulting in one of the most famous movie quotes of all time.
"So I jump ship in Hong Kong and make my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas. A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one - big hitter, the Lama - long, into a ten-thousand foot crevasse, right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-galunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice."
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting#6 Major League

I know, completely weak. But it's my list. I can't help but watch this movie when it's on TV.

















Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
#5 North Dallas Forty

Loosely based on a Dallas Cowboys team in the 1970s, this movie gives you a look at the money issues players dealt with as well as the things they put their bodies through to play the game. Besides, it has Mac Davis in it. 'Nuff said.












Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting #4 A League of Their Own
"There's no crying in baseball!" Subtract Madonna and Rosie O'Donnel from this movie and it would have ranked higher. Girls playing baseball? Geena Davis makes it believable.
















Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting #3 The Longest Yard
Not that crappy Adam Sandler version that came out a while ago. You have to see the originally with Burt Reynolds. "I think I broke his fuckin' neck!"
















Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting #2 Hoosiers
Small town basketball team makes it to the state championship in basketball crazy Indiana. You root for Gene Hackman the entire time. Another movie that I can't turn off when it comes on.















Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting #2 b Rudy
I know, this will make my list 11 movies long. Live with it. When that little hobbit runs out on the field to the sound of the crowd chanting "Rudy! Rudy!" I get a lump in my throat everytime.















Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting #1 The Natural
It's too long, the story is convoluted, and Redford is a tad stiff, but when Roy Hobbs cranks that homer into the lights and then runs the bases in a cloud of sparks, I cry. I swear. I man enough to admit it. I cry.


Yeah, I left out the Kevin Costner trilogy of "Bull Durham", "Field of Dreams" and "Tin Cup" but they all have one fatal flaw. Kevin Costner. Also, there is no way I'm adding "The Cutting Edge" to my list. Ewww.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know I've only seen maybe 2 of those movies. I have to tell ya the 3 Kevin Costner movies you left off your list would be my favorite!!! I like A League of Their Own but mainly because Tom Hanks stays drunk. Thanks for introducing me to Mystery, AK. Good movie!!

Thanks for posting.

8:15 PM  
Blogger Kitty said...

I'm with flat in regards to the kevin costner movies, they would have made my list instead of the natural and north dallas forty, but the other eight you listed......

come on flat, those are excellent movies! You gotta take the time to watch them!

9:53 PM  
Blogger ENFORCER said...

Bat,
Field of dreams has to make the list, I rarely cry and hardly ever at movies but when Costner sats to his dad "wanna have a game of catch" it gets me every time.

Also, Slap Shot (Paul Newman) as an aging hockey player/ coach and his team of misfits is a classic. The line "his wife's a lesbian, does that make him a fag?" kills me every time I see it.

7:50 PM  
Blogger Kitty's Tiger said...

Oh my lord bat I have forgotten about: North Dallas Forty. One of my all time favorite movies. Thanks for reminding me Pute..ha ha ha

3:30 PM  
Blogger Kitty's Tiger said...

PS I forgot where did you find the north dallas forty movie on dvd. I have looked all over and have had no luck at all. Would love to have a copy of this movie.....I have almost went "bat shit crazy" looking for it...had to, sorry but I had to. Could not resist.......

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home