Sunday, February 04, 2007

The Great Nacho controversy Of '07


If you read The Girlfriend's blog (and I know that most of you do, since 99% of my visitors come from her blog), you already know that we went to the hockey game last night and watched the Predators shellac the Ducks, 3-0. They maintain their lead over the rest of the NHL and apparently have a good shot at taking home the President's Cup (given to the NHL team with the best season record).

What she didn't tell you about was the second most entertaining thing to happen that night. There were a couple of men sitting in front of us with their young sons, which were probably about 8 and 10 years old. Of course, the kids were just as interested in the cotton candy, foam fingers and free baseball caps as they were the game. After the second period, one of the men came back with a load of goodies, beer, pretzels and a big container of nachos. The younger kid took the nachos, put them in his lap and turned to the side, protecting is bounty from any poachers. Naturally, the older boy then decided he wanted to taste some fried corn chips with melted imitation processed cheese food on them. One man told the young grasshopper to share, but feeling what I can only assume was a sense of entitlement, the younger child refused, stating rather emphatically "NO!" He then crouched over his manna, protecting it like a ravenous wolf would a bone. Thus began The Great Nacho Controversy Of '07." The boy's father took the nachos away from him, gave them to the older child. Wisely, the new recipient of the delectable pseudo Mexican delicacy didn't say a word and just dug into his new found repast. The entertainment kicked in when the loser in the contest of wills began his pout show. I don't have kids, and his is probably why. I remember being little and thinking "I will show them, if I don't get my way, I will act like they are the worst parents ever and I have been abused from birth." Now that I'm adult, I find this behavior very amusing. In the entire history of parents and kids, have these tactics ever worked? The injured party leaned on the rail in front of him, sobbed crocodile tears and hid his eyes from all spectators only peaking out to make sure his was drawing the necessary attention to his plight. Rather than take pity on the poor child, the rest of us drew great delight from his predicament. To his credit, the Dad ignored the boy's theatrics (which were Oscar worthy if I may say so) and watched the rest of the game and the older child proceeded to devour every last nacho. Call me twisted, but I considered the whole thing a bonus. A hockey game AND a free show. Like I said, it's no wonder I have no spawn.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great tale! I was laughing just as hard reading this as I was sitting there in person. Kids always think they can out smart their parents. I was really expecting the dad to give in, I was glad he didn't cave.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Nikky said...

I love a parent who is not swayed by those theatrics... so few left today tho...

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The photo of the nachos look goooood...

1:41 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

I've got 4 kids and I do exaclty the same thing to my kids if they fight over something like food. Forget it, giving into their theatrics does not do anything but show them you are weak!!
Seeing you did the same thing as a kid, you would be a good parent, you have the upper hand of hindsight :)

12:01 AM  
Blogger Tish said...

It's nice to know that there are some parents who don't give in! *LOL*

It is stories like this that make me glad I don't have children!

2:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.

12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home