Saturday, February 10, 2007

Slap My Ass And Call Me Alice

After ice skating lessons today, I asked The Girlfriend if we could go to "The Hockey Stop" on the way home. I was tired of the rental skates killing my feet and felt it was time to buy some skates. She was less than enthused about going, but I figured it was just because it was a guy thing and she wasn't really interested.

We get to the shop and the lady helping me found a new pair of skates to try. They were beginners (meaning CHEAP) skates and she told me I would have to break them in for them to feel comfortable. She then asked if I would be interested in some used skates. (Oh, I forgot to mention that she measured my feet. The left foot is significantly shorter than the right foot.) I said sure and she found a pair of mid level quality skates that felt a lot better on my feet. She told me that they would last just as long as the new ones, the basic difference being that they were a higher quality and already broken in (I know, dangling preposition, so shoot me, my grammar sucks.). Bonus they were about $50 cheaper. Since I don't know how long I will be interested in ice skating, I thought cheaper was better. The Girlfriend looked non committal and her only comment was "Don't you want to check with 'Play It Again Sports'? I liked the skates, so I said no and then had the lady get me some socks and some kinda skate guard thingys to go with them. This would be what my new/used skates look like.

So, happy with my new purchase, I skip to the car, girlfriend in tow. That was when I noticed her lower lip sticking out. Great, what have I done now. We get to the car and it hits me. "Uh, you weren't planning on getting me skates for Balentime's Day were you." Her lower lip came out so far, I thought she was going to trip over it. The rest of the conversation went like this.

"I'm so sorry baby, the thought was soooooo sweet. Do you want me to take them back? Why didn't you stop me from buying these skates."

She replied, "Well, I kept hinting! You never buy anything! I had it all set up, they were gonna mold a brand new pair of skates to your feet and everything." By this time, she could have pulled her lip over her head and worn it like a cap.

"How did you hint? When?"

"Well, I told you I didn't really want to go to The Hockey Stop and I asked you if you wanted to check at Play It Again Sports. You should have known!"

"Uh, why didn't you just say 'I don't want to go?' Sheesh."

So now, I've definitely demonstrated that I don't take hints well. I think she is ok now and hopefully I haven't completely ruined Balentime's Day. She is now leaving to go shopping and maybe the pouting will end.

Help me. Was I wrong? Should I have known? I can be so clueless sometimes.

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is why "traditionally," men are "supposed" to buy women impractical gifts for V-day -- the gift is "supposed" to be something so extravagant that she wouldn't get it for herself. You, however, have the fortune of being with a practical girlfriend who knows to get you something you'd actually need, and of course the downfall with getting someone practical gifts is that often they systematically eliminate your gift ideas for buying these things for themselves, since these items are actually needed. It happens between me and Mr. W every Christmas in reverse. (But that's why a pack of cozy socks isn't a "traditional" gift from boyfriends to girlfriends for xmas!)

Besides, who knows, you may have done yourself a favor. Maybe now Flat Coke will go out and buy out half the store of Frederick's of Hollywood for V-day. (Oops, I hope I didn't just ruin her other gift!)

1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No you were not wrong. Yes you should pay more attention to my HINTS!!

Example:

Flat: I'm ready to go to bed.
Bat: Oh you're sleepy?
Flat: No....I'm ready to go to bed.
Bat: OK Let's go to sleep then.

AAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

I'm glad you got skates that make your feet feel toasty. Happy VD baby!

6:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah here's another hint...don't buy anything the week before April 1st.

7:02 PM  
Blogger Kitty said...

If I've learned anything through 15 years of marriage is MEN DON'T GET HINTS. This is one of the differences where men and women are wired.

I have also learned men don't like them, they want you to just say exactly what it is you are needing to say. Which sounds simple, but let me ask you Bat. Put the shoe (in this casae the skate) on the other foot.

What would you have said to Flat to divert her without ruining your big surprise? It's not like she could have said, "Bat I don't want to go because I was planning on buying you skates for V day, so act surprised"

7:16 PM  
Blogger Kitty's Tiger said...

Well she could have said something like. Why do we have to go tonight, my feet hurt from skating and I just want to go home. Don't wirry Kitty says I do the same thing to her. Not taking hints very well. Oh and I give her a hint for your Balentimes day gift also. Only trying to help. LOL

8:28 PM  
Blogger Whine Girl said...

This is where some more "time" comes into play... where you know each other so well, it only takes one tiny little 'look' to know what's what.... you'll learn these things about each other. I'm still so thrilled you guys are even learning to ice skate...

8:38 PM  
Blogger Bat said...

For the record, she had already told me that she needed to do some shopping on her own to buy something for me. If she had just said, "I have to get somewhere, can we go later?" I would have totally been ok with it.

11:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally MY BAD!!!

11:25 PM  
Blogger Kitty said...

Dont feel bad flat, I would have reacted the same way you did.

Bat what more should she have said then? If she had already told you she needed to go shopping for you, then why did you decide to go shopping for yourself....right then?

You're a bad bat! You need some discipline. Hopefully Flat's Balentine present includes a paddle and some soft cuffs for you! he he

10:37 AM  
Blogger Whine Girl said...

Alice.

11:59 PM  
Blogger Tish said...

Haha! What a funny story! So sorry her gift idea was ruined, but it did make for a great story! :)

12:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tish I'm glad you think my sadness is SO blogworthy!! lol

10:04 PM  
Blogger James said...

As a man, you are completely predispositioned to not receive hints from women. You can replace yourself with 100 guys, and none of them would get the hint, yet a woman bystander, who only heard the last two syllables would totally get the hint and think you're stupid for not getting it. It's actually proven that women broadcast their hints on a undetectable frequency that only other women can receive. Don't feel too bad, no one else would have gotten that hint.

12:48 AM  
Blogger Whine Girl said...

happy vd... *pinch*

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

James - HAHAHA!!

Bat...*bursting* POST already, damn it! WHAT did she end up getting you?!?! AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!

6:08 PM  
Blogger Tish said...

Flat ~ YOU are blogworthy, girl! You're the best! And I'm glad that Bat blogs about ya!

Happy V-Day, you two!

6:41 PM  
Blogger Fame said...

I have learned men are not mind readers, although woman so often think you are. I am guilty of this.

LOL, great story however.

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home