Sunday, July 01, 2007

You Bitch! You Slut! You Whore!

Time for the weekly update. I'm sure the title of this post sounds very titillating, but the reality is pretty mundane. The Girlfriend suggested that we go to a new bar on Broadway called The Big Bang. Turns out the place is a dueling piano bar. Not familiar with the concept? Me either. It ended up being a LOT of fun. They put a couple of pianos up on the stage and two jokers tickle the ivories taking requests and cracking jokes. By midnight the place had turned into one big sing along and that is when my disconnect with the current bar scene became apparent. In college, when Hank Williams would come on the juke box we'd sing along adding words after the chorus. C'mon, you know you've heard it. "Hank why do you drink? To get drunk! Why do you roll smoke? To get stoned! Why must you live out the songs that you wrote? To get laid!" Well, at The Big Bang they have taken this concept and run with it. The whole deal is very audience participation oriented. I dunno if they came up with it (probably not) but when they sang Kenny Rogers' song "Lucille" and got to the line "You picked a fine time to leave me Lucille" they paused and the audience screamed out "YOU BITCH, YOU SLUT, YOU WHORE!" Needless to say, I was delighted with another opportunity to curse out loud. A bar like that makes my Tourette's so much more acceptable. Oh, and when did open cell phones replace lighters at concerts? I like that idea. Now I can regrow my mullet without fear of my head becoming a fire ball.

So that has been my weekend so far. Now I'm just trying to recover because The Girlfriend claims that we are going to an aerobics class this afternoon. Now, leave me alone, I have to rehydrate.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The funniest part to me was the guy making fun of Michael Buble having the word BOOB and LAY in his last name. tee hee

2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never heard of either song you mention. So I'd be more lost than you at a dueling piano bar. There are some local ones, but I've never gone in. Oh, and the open cell phone thing? It's been around for at least this entire decade.

I think it's so cool that you two venture out and try new stuff. And that you don't sit there and cross your arms cuz if it's not something you'd seen done before, then it's "weird" and "stupid."

1:44 AM  
Blogger Jane Doe said...

Hey, this sounds exactly like Whool at the Moon at the Universal Studios City Walk.

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home