Saturday, June 09, 2007

A Month Of Sundays

I know, it's been a lifetime since I've put anything new here. I've been busy taking my finals at the clown college as well as finishing up my astronaut training, so my writing has suffered. Not that it had anywhere to go but up.

If by chance, you happen to be from Nashville and are interested in what's going on with the Predators, notice the new link for the Our Team website. It's a group of businesses that have come together to try and sell more season tickets. I think it's targeted for the corporate community, but I'm trying to spread the word to anyone that will listen. Right now the theory is that if we average 14,000 tickets per game, the new owner will be stuck with the arena lease for another seven years at least, giving us NHL hockey for a little while longer and insuring that Bat and Flat don't have to move to another city.


In other news, I am completely baffled by California. Most of us that live outside of that state have always believed that the citizens of that state are a little "touched", but this Paris Hilton thing is nuts! Let me see if I can summarize what's going on with Ms. Hilton. She violates her probation that restricts her from driving (moronic considering that if anybody can afford to be driven around, she can) and uses the excuse that her publicist told her it was ok to drive to work (I don't have a publicist, but if I did, I wouldn't rely on them for legal advice.). The judge doesn't buy the excuse (a sane Californian!) and sentences her to 45 days in the local slammer. Immediately, the sentence is reduced to about 23 days for good behavior. I used to work for a correctional facility, so I know that this is the way things work, but to the lay person it already seems like she is getting preferential treatment. So, after appearing at the MTV movie awards, which I'm sure she regrets since Sarah Silverman cut her pretty hard, Paris turns herself in and begins serving her paltry three weeks in solitary. After about three days, the sheriff sends her home to serve the rest of her sentence under house arrest. The prosecutors office gets wind of it (well, how could they not considering the fact that it was headline news on CNN) and protests to the judge. The judge has her hauled back into court. When the deputies pick her up, the television coverage is ridiculous. It's like O.J. Simpson all over again. Choppers in the air covering the trip to the courthouse, reporters getting run over by cop cars, breaking news banners on all of the "serious" news channels. Once she is in the courthouse, the judge tells her that she is gonna serve out her sentence in jail. Hilton starts wailing and blubbering and screams "It's not right!" You would think that she was going to the gas chamber. I just don't understand why it is news and here I am adding to the hysteria by blogging about it. Only in California. By the way, I've been to San Francisco a couple of times and really liked it, the people were nice, the weather was great and the city was fantastic. I would move there in a second except that it costs more to park a car there than it does to rent a three bedroom home in Nashville.

Finally, I reckon I will discuss a "Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus" issue. The Girlfriend told me to invite a co-worker and his wife to dinner Saturday night. When I spoke to him, he told me that he was starting his vacation this weekend and might leave Saturday, but if he didn't he would give me a call. Now, as a guy, this says to me "If we decide to go, I will call you sometime before dinner." It apparently mean something else to Flat. For the next three days she asks me repeatedly, "What has he said about dinner?" Or, "Have you heard from co-worker?" HOLY SHIT! While I'm sitting here typing this entry about the difference between men and women when it comes to the phone, Flat brings my cell phone upstairs and puts it on my desk. "You never know when somebody might call and tell you they are hungry." So, without even trying, she completely makes my point about the differences between men and women. I figure he will call if he wants to go, she thinks I should talk to him three times a day between the time we discuss going out and the time we actually do. Am I the only one dealing with this?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can someone tell me where Paris Hilton "works?"

If it were left up to women to make the dinner plans we would have discussed what shirt, shoes, skirt we will be wearing not to mention already looked up the menu online and texted 5 times to be sure everything is still "a go"! And women don't have to wait to the last minute to decide IF we can go...I would have planned my vacation better and known EXACTLY when I was leaving town! MEN! Arggg!!! :o)

10:07 AM  
Blogger little things said...

Exactly Flat, WORKS?

I guess I'm kind of like a guy in that if I make plans, I will be there. Any further discussion kind of annoys me. :)

11:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So today Paris's publicist did SOMETHING right. Finally. According to the news, Paris told her attorneys (one of whom I KNOW and I was gonna call him to give him a hard time) to not appeal the judge's most recent order to sent her back to jail, and said that it's a bitter lesson she is willing to learn, that she'd been doing some self-reflection in the past days and have learned some things already, and that she's shocked by all the media attention on her situation and thinks people should pay more attention to more important things, like the war in the Middle East. I don't know whether she really said these things or not, but if her publicists let the press think she did, then it's a smart move.

12:49 AM  
Blogger KourJalopy said...

Women need a definitive answer when it comes to things like this. I am not one who can fly by the seat of my pants but have to have things planned WELL in advance (3 days or more). However men make split second decisions, and that absolutely drives me nuts. hmmm...now you know the difference between men and women. SHe just wanted to be prepared, that's all!!!

10:47 AM  
Blogger icadle said...

Is it so bad to be able to make a split second decision and be ok with it???

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home