Sunday, September 26, 2010

Randy Newman

Kitten and I went to see Randy Newman last night. I had a fantastic time and recommend that anyone with a chance, catch his act.

Most people recognize Newman from either his movie scores (Toy Story being the the most famous I think) or from the one or two minor hits he had on the radio ("I Love L.A." and "Short People"). He has written a ton of other stuff including the score for "The Natural" and "Mama Told Me Not To Come" made famous by Three Dog Night.

Backed by the Louisville Orchestra, the sound was rich without drowning out Newman's sometimes understated vocals. Newman himself is witty and urbane in deportment. His songwriting can be political and thought provoking without being aggressive.

He was every bit as entertaining as my favorite song writer, Lyle Lovett. Listen to the video above for proof.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home