Thursday, July 15, 2010

Friends

My friend, Cindy, recently wrote on her blog about how she tries to be a good friend and how she has struggled with crappy friends in the past, but now has great friends. It had me thinking about old friends, new friends and people I thought were my friends.

All and all, I think I've been lucky. I'm friendly with many people, but I don't take a lot of people into my confidence. Of the folks in the picture above (I'm the dork on the left end of the bench), I really only talk to one. One is an actor in California, one is a musician in New Mexico, the last time I saw one, he had recently been arrested for DUI, and one is legally blind living in Arkansas. The fella that took the picture is an architect in Chattanooga.

There was a time when I would have done anything for one of these fellas and they would have done the same for me. It's still that way for the most part. A couple of them became kinda shady and I don't think I would completely trust them. One of them made a point in the last year of letting me know that if I needed anything he was there for me.

As I grew older, I tried to surround myself with people that would make me a better person. Most of the time I was successful. A lot of my friends brought out the best in me. A couple turned on me, doing dastardly thing things like hitting on my girlfriend. Some surprised me with their generosity.

With one exception, I don't talk to the friends I have now on a regular basis. The only requirement I have to be my friend is to be trustworthy. My motto is say what you mean, mean what you say. Follow that simple rule and you remain on the good list.

I admit, there have been times when I was not the best friend and those times weigh heavy on my soul. All I can do is try not to make the same mistakes and recognize the moments when I can be a good friends. Oh, the one exception mentioned above? Kitten is my best friend. I'm a firm believer that your significant other should always be your best friend.

In 2005, I reflected on friends in a post. I had decided to write a mission statement and application process for being my friend. After reading over it, I think it still applies almost five years later.

Team Bat

Mission Statement: Team Bat will consist of the best friend that money cannot buy. We strive to be the best friend possible and provide 100% friend satisfaction.
Employment: The application process is simple. Ask. Team Bat does not discriminate based on color, creed, or sexual preference. However, be aware that Team Bat reserves the right to refuse employment based on planet of origin.
Sexual harassment: Team Bat has a strict sexual harassment policy. We encourage it. Same sex harassment may be ignored, but perversely, it is appreciated.
Pay: At no time will a person be expected to pay to participate in Team Bat.
Time Off: Team members are encouraged to take time off from Team Bat as needed. Mental health days may be taken at will. Be aware that extended absence from Team Bat in no way relieves you or Team Bat from friend responsibilities. Membership in Team Bat is considered a lifetime commitment.
Benefits: Benefits will vary according to the individual. Your benefit package is subject to change at anytime, basically because the team leader can be an ass. Benefits include, but are not limited to, gifts, drunken phone calls, beer, favors, event tickets, appliance repair, automobile repair, etc. Be aware, if your benefits are refused or not used, they may be reassigned to another team member.
Dismissal: Offenses that may cause dismissal are few. Lying, cheating, or bestiality will result in immediate dismissal. Other offenses that may result in suspension of benefits include jealousy, snooping through team members shit, showing up at the team leader's house without prior notification, outstanding loans, and breaking the team leader's shit. Team Bat is aware that the relationship between the team and the team member is a two way process and will strive to avoid committing any of the above offenses.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this!

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home