Thursday, June 09, 2005

My Weekend Is F.U.B.A.R.

I get the call today at about nine in the evening. My date for my big St. Louis weekend has to pass. We were supposed to leave on Thursday so I'm left scrambling trying to find somebody that can drop everything, put their life on hold and run away with me for three days. No small feat.

Don't get me wrong, I go on vacation by myself all of the time. I like myself. Myself and I get along great. But I've already paid for two and I hate to see money go to waste.

The first call, believe it or not, is to the ex-wife. We always traveled well together and get along much better now that she lives some 1200 miles away. Unfortunately, her sister is getting married this weekend in Connecticut. Strike one.

The next call goes out to somebody that I've barely met, but has been bugging me to go out again. I guess I figured that going for the easy mark would be the safest thing to do. No luck, her boss walked out on her three days ago, she can't get away. Strike two.

The third number had been disconnected. No surprise since I haven't talked to her in six months or so. No big loss since she is sort of weird. Strike three.

The fourth call is a risky one. I haven't been out with this girl in almost a year. Primarily because she stood me up. Twice. Call me a sucker. She actually answered and immediately went into the "I'm sorry, I was just having a hard time. I'm so glad you called. I was just talking about you, etc. etc." I give her my pitch and she says yes. Then she goes into "Well, I would have to get off of work and I would need to cancel my plans for Saturday night....." I knew I was doomed. Then it took a turn for the worse. "I will call you tomorrow (the day I'm supposed to leave) and let you know." I quickly got her to agree that she couldn't really go. I wasn't willing to wait and I felt that I was going to get stood up again. My ego couldn't take it. Strike four. (I know, you are only supposed to get three.)

So now I'm telling my woes to an online friend that I've met for a beer once. She sympathizes, tells me that I should have asked her first, but she can't go now because she can't get off work. It's a real internet pity party. Now its 10:30 and kind of late for calling people and asking them to run away with you. My online friend tells me to wait she will be right back.

So I surf for awhile, check out what it will cost me to cancel the whole damn thing and generally just start feeling sorry for myself.

The friend comes back and tells me "It's settled, Jessica is going with you."

"Jessica? Who the hell is Jessica?"

The long and the short of it is that tomorrow/today, I'm going to meet Jessica. Then I'm going to take her to St. Louis for three days of roller coasters and baseball. Jessica is either certifiable or will be one of the funnest people I've ever met.

Stay tuned sports fans.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home