Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Best/Worst Day Of The Year

I alternately love and loathe December 21, winter solstice. I have trouble with lack of sunlight which is odd, since I could easily be described as a night owl. When the days are short and the skies are gloomy, I tend to go in a funk. The fact that it's also the holiday season doesn't help. Frankly, the whole mad scramble of shopping, buying, and fighting traffic pisses me off. I would just as soon go to sleep sometime before Thanksgiving and wake up in the new year. Bah humbug.

At any rate, today is the shortest day of the year. It was dark when I woke up this morning and it began to get dark again around five. Totally unacceptable. I hate this day.

On the other hand, I'm at my best when things are rock bottom. If I know that this is as bad as it gets, I can deal with it. So I love this day. Tomorrow there will be a little more sunlight to enjoy. And even more the day after that. Soon, I will be sitting on my back patio, eating dinner and reading a favorite book in the light provided by the evening sun. I will remark on how I love the fact that at eight p.m. the sun is beginning to sink and I will spring out of the bed at six a.m., thrilled that Sol has risen before me.

I'm not really a glass half empty or half full person. I really think it's both.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Tish said...

I left a gift for you on my blog. hehehehe.

1:09 AM  
Anonymous Darkneuro said...

Pessimistic optimism. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
I was going to say, Solstice means spring is on the way.

1:36 AM  
Anonymous Darkneuro said...

Annnd, per Osbasso, you've been gifted. You should go see :)

2:21 AM  
Anonymous Jodi said...

Forget the book. What time is dinner?

9:11 AM  
Anonymous •♥•m•♥• said...

Blessed BE to you :) I also posted about Standing Still Sun ( thats the definition of SOLSTICE btw).......I also go into a funk this time of yr.....perhaps we should just plan to hibernate together next yr?? m

10:31 AM  
Anonymous DanjerusKurves said...

The glass, dahling, is at 50% capacity!

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Samantha Alice said...

I'm with you on the hibernation thing!

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home