Saturday, October 23, 2010

Goodbye Mom

I haven't posted in a couple of weeks. Mostly because my new job has been keeping me really busy, but I feel like I have to write something about my Mom. She passed away last night.

Her condition had been so up and down over the past couple of months. I didn't get to talk to her much because she was in intensive care and my sister took her phone. Just getting phone calls exhausted her. I'd talk to her a couple of minutes and she would get short of breath and her mind would wander.

This past week she had improved. They had not only moved her out of the ICU, but had transferred her back to the rehab facility. Kitten and I went to see a movie last night after work and during the movie, I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I didn't answer, but I had a bad feeling about it. Sure enough, when I got to the car, I saw that my sister had called. Her husband picked up the phone when I called back and told me that my Mom had passed away suddenly. I don't have a lot of details right now, my sister is understandably in shock. It seems that Mom had a pretty good day yesterday. She ate well, they got her out of bed and she even went outside for a little while. Sometime in the evening, my sister left to go home. The hospital called her fifteen minutes later and told her that my Mom's heart just quit and she passed away. I'm thankful that she had a good day. I'm also thankful that her life ended in a fairly quick manner. I know that sounds callous, but I've seen countless people endure horrible things for an extra month or two of life without quality. I envisioned several long years of illness with bouts of bed sores, pneumonia, and hospital contracted illnesses.

Sorry Mom. I did the best I could. I'm glad you aren't suffering.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Chad;

I am very sorry for your loss, it is so hard to lose someone you love.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Summer said...

I know it's got to be hard for you. I went through a similar thing with my mom when she passed from cancer. I even felt guilty for being relieved that she wasn't suffering anymore.

It is good that your mom had a good day, at least her last day was as nice as it could be.

I'll be thinking of you.

12:54 AM  
Anonymous cindy said...

It sounds like a pretty ideal last day for her. I think she left when she was ready and she left on her own terms, although that is only slightly comforting for those who stayed on this plane after she moved on to bigger and better things.

I'm sorry for what you and your family are feeling, and for what you may soon feel. She left easily so I don't think your apology is warranted. Too bad I'm not closer, I'm in the mood to cry if you want a wallowing partner.

5:02 AM  
Blogger Nikorasu Sora said...

That sucks dude. Sorry for your loss.

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home