Monday, February 27, 2006

Tough Weekend

My weekend was a little rough. Not so much for me, but for my Mom. About two weeks ago, she began to complain of sciatic pain. Generally, this is pain that starts in your lower back or hip and shoots down your ass and into your leg. It's a pretty classic sign that you have bulging disc or some other spine alignment problem.

She went to see one of the quacks where she lives. The promptly gave her a colonoscopy (or as Mom puts it, "they shoved a light bulb in my ass") and did a cat scan of her abdomen and pelvis. Diagnosis? Cellulitis. Basically they looked at the areas where they had given her shots in the ass and decided she had inflammation there. The morons correlated this with her back pain.

Friday night she said she couldn't take the pain anymore. They had given her some demerol to take, but it wasn't helping at all. My cousin brought her to my town the next morning and she went to the emergency room at the hospital where I work. They gave her some steroids and a prescription for more demerol. Most of Saturday morning she sat on the couch and rocked and whimpered because she was in so much pain. I finally took it upon myself to count the amount of demerol she had left and after determining that she had enough to make it until she saw an orthopedist today, I convinced her to double her dosage. She was comfortable most of Sunday and I'm gonna take her to her appointment today. I hope they can come up with a better plan of care than "sticking a light bulb in her ass."

5 Comments:

Anonymous Darkneuro said...

Doctors never cease to amaze me sometimes. Dad's got spinal stenosis, but because of the rest of his health problems, they won't do surgery. They've developed a procedure that is considered to be 'outpatient' and will give him a huge amount of relief, but because his orthopedist hasn't read up on it, they're refusing the procedure. Go figure.
I hope she's better or at least in less pain or at least an explanation by the end of today.

11:01 AM  
Anonymous Melanie said...

i hope your mom gets some answers today. my husband has sciatic problems and let me tell ya, you know it's painful when it can make a grown man cry. good luck...

11:22 AM  
Anonymous Rachel said...

Hey hon, hope mom feels better and quickly. As I said over the weekend, you are a good boy!

All my best!

1:01 PM  
Anonymous .- said...

eeeeek
wish her the best -
keep us posted

7:01 AM  
Anonymous MamaKBear said...

Hope your Mom get the help and relief she needs real soon! Good luck!

12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home