Friday, February 17, 2006

A Weekend In summary

Well, I've been back from my mini vacation for a few days and now that I've had time to sort my thoughts, I can try to form some coherent telling of the events.

LMRP got off of work at 7 a.m. last Saturday. She tried to get a little sleep before I picked her up at 11 or so. I had given her tickets to the Kentucky/Vanderbilt game in Nashville, so that was our first stop. She seemed in good spirits considering she had slept only three or four hours.

As you can tell, she was rooting for Kentucky. It was a pretty good game, but UK lost by three. I think she enjoyed herself.

We then caught a plane to Florida. Once we got there, we grabbed some seafood at Crabby Bill's and then were off to find the hotel. We stayed at the Biltmore-Belleview which was built in the 1890s. The place was easy on the eyes, but was obviously not in it's prime. Not really a problem since we didn't plan on spending much time there anyway. The plan was to get up the next morning and go fishing. It was a chilly 60 degrees or so that night, but I didn't give it much thought. Until......I get a phone call from the charter company. "Uhhh, it's gonna be a little chilly and probably pretty windy tomorrow. We aren't gonna be going out. Wanna try for Monday?"

Not really a problem. We were planning on going to Busch Gardens on Monday, so we just decided to push that up a day.

We get going pretty early on Sunday, excited about the prospect of riding coasters all day in the warm Florida sun. Unfortunately, mother nature had other ideas. The temperature never made it above fifty degrees that day. It made for some ass freezing roller coasters. The highlight of Bush Gardens? The Rascal scooter convoy. Maybe it's just me being insensitive, but if you aren't mobile enough to walk, what the hell are you doing at an amusement park? That night we ordered room service, grabbed some margaritas and hung out in the spa for a few hours. I eventually got another phone call from the charter service that night. "Uhhh.....you know there is a freeze warning tonight and the wind should be about 20 mph tomorrow? I don't think you will be fishing this trip."

So the next day, we took a walk on the empty beach. This was quite depressing for me. A beautiful beach, a beautiful girl and weather colder than a bucket of penguin shit. I kinda have a Robert Deniro sneer going in this picture. Couldn't repeat it if I tried. So we walked the beach for a while. I was amazed that the life guards were on duty. Who the hell would get in that water? Eventually we found our way to Cooters and ate lunch and drank a bit. After a nap we went to see "The Matador." A good movie, catch it if you can. Ate dinner at a place called Beachcomber's. Excellent escargot.

Now we are up to Valentine's Day. It's still pretty chilly, but the temp has climbed to 55 degrees. A veritable heat wave. We wandered down to the pier before we had to leave and that's when I took my favorite picture. LMRP preferred this one. We flew back to Nashville later that afternoon. There was almost no change in temperature! LMRP took me to dinner at Ruth's Chris
and gave me this: One of the sweetest gifts I've ever gotten. It obviously took a lot of thought and I appreciate it to no end.

I then dropped her off at the Bon Jovi concert (I was invited, but declined) and came back home. To sum up my Valentine's Day weekend, a little drink, good food, fantastic company, Florida hates me.






9 Comments:

Anonymous Jodi said...

Frigid weather, but it sounds like the two of you had a great time. Ask Miss Amanda where she found the idea for the wine for me please. That is a great idea.

At least you saw palm trees though...And 50 degree weather is considered shorts weather here in Maine. 70 degrees and we're sweating our ovaries off. Can't wait for summer!

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Darkneuro said...

Florida doesn't hate you, Chunk... MOTHERNATURE hates you ;)

9:11 AM  
Anonymous Rachel said...

I agree with Jodi, it's -8 degrees right now.

Glad you had a good time hon, better luck next time with the weather.

10:59 AM  
Anonymous Melanie said...

Awww...it sounds like you had a great time despite the weather. And LMRP is quite adorable! And that bottle of wine was a very thoughtful gift too.

Strangely, I love going to the beach when it's cold. But then again, I'm a weirdo. *sigh*, I miss Gulf Shores...

1:41 PM  
Anonymous MamaKBear said...

LOL I had never been to Florida before I went on the road with truck-drivin' MrKB...we finally got sent there, and we were like "Alright! Sunny Florida!" HA! We had weather like yours, and it freakin' rained!!

We went back several other times and I think maybe once it was actually Florida-type weather.

Glad y'all made it back safe, and it seems the trip was great, even if you didn't get to do any fishing! Thanks for sharing the pics. :)

4:18 PM  
Anonymous •♥•m•♥• said...

U two are adorable!! LMRP gave U such a sweet an thoughtful gift! me thinks shes a keeper! Dont SCREW IT UP! (lol ..thats for U LMRP)......and yes....U did have quite the Deniro smirk going on .....perhaps the other hands we cant see in the pic were busy!?!? Great photos :)

12:54 PM  
Anonymous ~art said...

Man you are just having no luck here in Fl are you? I guess I shouldn't tell you it was 80 here in Tampa yesterday at the beach.

6:43 PM  
Anonymous No One In Particular said...

Yep, she's a hottie...& a UK fan, too? Seems like a keeper!

11:18 PM  
Anonymous Tish said...

Wow, looks like you guys had a great time! Awesome photos! Thanks for sharing!

8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home