Saturday, September 19, 2009

Best Dog In The World

I got a text today from my ex-wife saying that our dog Gabby had died. Even though she hasn't been living with me since 2002, I called the ex and cried like a baby over Gabby's passing. She was the best dog I ever had. She slept next to me in the bed. She never cried or wimpered. She never begged. When I would eat dinner, she would sit there patiently giving me the vulture look, long streams of drool coming out of her mouth, but she never came to the table, never pawed or whined. She loved the water, she would swim for hours retrieving the frisbee that I would throw until my arm got tired. She could sit, lay, roll over, and speak. Should would lay down when I'd pretend to shoot her. She could beg like one of those little prissy poodles, but was all big dog when it came time to rough house or chase the "cover monster." Giving her to the ex was one of the hardest things I ever had to do and if I was honest about it, I would have to admit that I missed the dog more than I did the ex. She had a good, long life, almost 15 years and I know the ex took good care of her. I will remember you always Gabby. Good Bye.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jane Doe said...

Awwww.... that's never easy losing a good friend even if they are a pet. My animal loving heart goes out to you. The best way to morn is to give extra love to the dogs you have right now and maybe treat them to the dog park, a swim or a treat :)

4:39 PM  
Anonymous cindy said...

*hug*
...and I second Vanessa's suggestion.
I also have an urge to go home and hug my cat.

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home