Sunday, July 11, 2010

Roller Derby!


Kitten and I have done a lot since the last time I blogged. I was gonna give the low down on our 4th of July festivities, but she did such a good job, I think you should just go read about it on her blog.

We were unable to get together this weekend, so I was on my own. A buddy of mine let me know that his wife was out of town and he was on his own as well so we decided to go see the Nashville Rollergirls.

I remember roller derby when I was a kid. It came on TV and the T-Birds were always the good guys. I thought it would be kinda like the old roller derby, but it as a completely different thing. First of all, there was no banked track and rail. They just put some tape on the floor and bam! they had a track. The downside (or upside depending on what you like) is that if you were sitting on the edge of the track, you were in the "suicide seats". Basically this meant you were subject to having a roller girl end up in your lap at anytime.

The "bout" itself was fun to watch. The rules are fairly simple, teams score points when their "jammer" passes members of the other team. The girls had names like Sambo Rambo, Leanne Crimes, and Lady Fury. The coach went by the name Master Bates! Fun for the whole family I tell ya! It was a spirited match that ended with Nashville beating Tallahasse 159-70. Go Rollergirls!

The crowd was half of the entertainment. It was about 1,500 people. One third redneck, one third Vandy snobs, and one third bull dyke. As an aside, I wonder why dykes look angry all of the time? Like they need to kick somebody's ass? My gay neighbors aren't that way. Lesbians that I've worked with in the past are nice pleasant people. Put a woman in men's clothing and give them a short haircut and all of a sudden they have a sour look on their face like somebody pissed in their cheerios (I know it's a stereotype, but I swear that's what they all looked like last night). I digress. The crowed was spirited and lively and cheered not only the Rollergirls, but the cheerleader's half-time performance and the New Orleans style brass band that played. As for the band, they had this little kid with them, he couldn't have been more than four, playing a snare drum. He was wearing it out!

The kicker for the evening? As we are leaving, my buddy says "Hey, isn't that the hockey coach?" I looked around in doubt, but sure enough, off to my side, Barry freakin' Trotz, head coach of the Nashville Predators! Like a redneck, I hollered "YO, BARRY!" and he gave me the head nod. So, if you've ever wondered what hockey coaches do in the off season, now you know.

Anybody wanna go to the next bout?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home